Tuesday, October 12, 2010

BMI

The other day, I was out in the community delivering a Wellness presentation to a group of professionals.  One of the subjects of the talk was BMI (or Body Mass Index), what it is a measurement of, and what ways can the data it gives accurately be used.

I got into a little bit of trouble from this particular group and I am not entirely sure why.  It might be because they were getting conflicting reports about what the measurement really says about them -- and maybe I added to the problem by adding another wrinkle.

Here is an extension of what research is saying about BMI.  I agree with some of the cited researchers when they say sometimes, the stress of being labeled overweight is worse for you than the motivational benefit that the label provides.

If you feel you have a good grasp on BMI already -- I encourage you to click here and scroll to the bottom of the page under the heading Limitations and Shortcomings. 

Read the article -- and then let me know what you think!

No comments: