Monday, September 6, 2010

Changing your community

The other day, I got into a big discussion with my class about whether I am an advocate of the smoking ban in restaurants and bars (which I am not!).  Now...I will tell you that I am not an advocate of smoking and I do not smoke. But  I feel it is my right as an American to have that choice -- both as a restaurant owner (where I would have the choice of opening a non-smoking or smoking restaurant) and as a patron (where I can choose what kind of environment I would like to eat my meal in). I do not think we need the government making these choices for us.

The flip side of that is others of our community have great influence over us.  If most of our community (macro or micro) do not smoke, there will be much greater pressure on us to choose not to smoke.  This is the avenue of change I like to participate in.

In their book Connected - the surprising power of our social networks and how they shape our lives, the authors give numerous examples of how the people around us influence our choices to give to charities, make healthier food choices, and to what extent we are active.  By the same token, we are influencing others by all of our choices as well.

Take a look at your behaviors.  Are there some you do not want to see duplicated in the world?  Are there changes you would like to see -- well, start living those changes!  You will make it easier for those you come into contact with to make those changes too.

It is fall.  A perfect time to step outside and go for a walk.  Put more veggies and fruits in your grocery basket (and then actually eat them).  Smile.  Laugh.  Share the positive behaviors in your life with your loved ones.  If you just do that, you will be changing the world!

No comments: