Monday, September 13, 2010

Pro-Ana???

This weekend, I learned something I didn't know.  I guess it shouldn't surprise me but there are sites on the Internet that help and support people to stay anorexic and bulimic.  There are forums, information, and support for those struggling to stay super-sickly thin.

I guess it shows the power of the Internet that no matter who you are or what is important to you, you can connect with like-minded people. 

I struggled with writing this post -- on one hand, you don't have to talk to me for more than 8 minutes before you will probably get the sense that I am extremely passionate about empowering people for greater health.  Pro-Ana and Pro-Mia (pro-bulimia) sites, although empowering to their members, are not empowering them for greater health.  I don't really want to raise awareness of these sites for the people seeking them -- but... they aren't really my readers anyway, right?

So, Readers, the point of me blogging this news to you is that this is something to be aware of.  If you have adolescent kids (boys are at risk too), it bears checking out some of these sites so you can become aware of the language and kinds of support they offer -- if those phrases start popping up in your child's speech, it may be a sign that professional help is needed sooner than later.  Intervention sooner means healthier kids and fewer unproductive behaviors to relearn.

No comments: