Friday, July 16, 2010

I just had the coolest experience....

For those of you who don't know, my background is in Exercise Science.  I really, truly enjoy working out.

Yesterday, after much fear and trepidation, I did my first workout with my friend Bryon, the coach, at the Borgess Sports Performance.  WOW!!

I was pretty nervous about this because he is one fit individual.  And he expects his clients to put for 120% (what if I wasn't up to the task?)

He taught a class yesterday that was 14 minutes long (the actual working portion) and Oh! My! Goodness! -- it was challenging!

He started us off with Tabata squats (20 seconds on -- 10 seconds rest with a goal of 20 per session ....I didn't hit that goal) for 2 minutes.

Then we moved to alternating 3 stations :

1. was a 50 foot heavy rope that you had to move to create the sine wave all the way to the end (I improved but didn't actually achieve the goal -- in any of the rotations through) for a minute

2. picking up an awkward bag of sand and carrying it as fast as a could around 2 cones (Yikes!)

3. picking up another awkward bag of sand -- throwing it -- running to it -- dropping to the ground and doing something like a squat thrust (remember those from gym class?) and then throwing the bag again -- back and forth between 2 cones.

We rotated through each station 4 times.  By the last, I was completely shot!  And only 14 minutes older.

The cool thing about this program was that even though each station was really tough, I only had to concentrate on doing it for 1 minute -- and like I tell my classes "you can do almost anything for a minute!"

More on the research behind why a short/intense workout is as good or better than a longer/slower workout in the next post.

No comments: