Monday, July 19, 2010

Tabata Method

In the last post, I talked about the 14 minute workout I did with Bryon.  Here is some background on the high-intensity training method.

In 1996, Izumi Tabata and his colleagues studied the effects of high (really high) intensity exercise training.  Most of us have been taught we need cardio AND strength training.  The general guidelines are 20-30 minutes of strength training and then 30+ minutes of moderate intensity cardiovascular exercise = 1 hour-ish of exercise.  Tabata found that 60 minutes of moderate intensity exercise would, indeed, improve cardiovascular fitness but wouldn't do anything for our other energy systems.  --which is why we do those two components separately in the gym.

He also found that 20 seconds of super high intensity cycling with 10 second rest, cycled through 7-8 times improved both cardiovascular fitness AND strength -- all in much less than 60 minutes -- which rocks! because it is so much easier to find 14 minutes in your day than 60.

The down side to this form of exercise (for me at least) is it really isn't in any way relaxing.  (Maybe you don't find exercise relaxing now -- so it wouldn't be that big of a deal!)  Performing at maximal effort (even for 20 seconds) takes a lot of concentration.  I was no where near maximal when I worked out with Bryon -- sure it was hard but with some mental training, I bet I can do better.  When I got done, I was fatigued but didn't have that feel-good feeling than usually happens when I run or bike.

But did I mention that it only takes 14 minutes?!  And Tabata found that it increased VO2 max by 7 ml/kg/min and increased anaerobic capacity by 28%.

WORD OF CAUTION!  This intensity workout is NOT recommended for everyone!  The intensity is such that injury could result -- either muscle/bone/joint (if you are not properly warmed up and using good technique) or injury to the cardiovascular system (this kind of training requires an initial level of fitness and then you build up slowly!)

You will notice if you reread the previous post -- I did NOT do a full Tabata program (we rested between the squats and then next section).  Exercise is supposed to make your life better and your body healthier.  Causing injury is counter productive -- please be sensible.

No comments: