Friday, August 6, 2010

Too much caffeine

The Canadian government is taking a look at the amount of caffeine in energy drinks and how to keep them out of the hands of children.  The are investigating dozens of caffeine related deaths and 15 that were cardiac events linked to caffeine.

For example:

a 250-ml bottle of Coca-Cola contains 26 milligrams of caffeine
a 75-ml bottle of Rockstar “energy shot” contains 200 mg of caffeine
a 355-ml can of Red Bull contains 113.6 mg of caffeine.

Health Canada says children between 10 and 12 should not consume more than 85 mg of caffeine a day and
healthy adults shouldn’t consume more than 400 mg a day.

A couple energy drinks really add up in a day.  Yikes!

Click here to visit the source article

And here for a link to what the Mayo Clinic has to say about caffeine.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well Coffee has as much caffeine as most energy drinks especially coffee from starbucks. I think Energy drinks are getting a bad rap.

Kristi Stender-Weessies said...

It did suprise me that Starbuck's coffee had that much caffeine in it! I have no problem with caffeine (as I'm typing this, I am waiting for my coffee to be done). The thought that kids are pounding these drinks because the flavor is such they can drink them fast and drink them often is more of what worries me. I wouldn't be an advocate of pounding that many coffees either.
In this case, I don't think the product is the problem, it is more an education that too much caffeine has real health risks -- much like too many Klondike bars or too much of pretty much anything!